Our Reading Specialists are not tutors. Reading Specialists are educators who teach students how to read in a different way - a way that was designed specifically for people with dyslexia and other learning disabilities. Think of it as Reading Therapy.
When a student comes to OGRS, he/she/they receive individualized Orton Gillingham reading and spelling instruction from our expertly-trained Staff Specialists or Specialists-in-Training. Our Specialists are supervised by Karen Sonday, Fellow at Academy of Orton Gillingham Practitioners and Educators and co-author of The Sonday System line of OG-based reading curricula.
The journey of each student is unique. There is no preset timeline for success because each student's strengths and challenges are different. We usually say to plan on being with us for the school year. We evaluate as we go.
Basic Session Information:
- Sessions are held 2-3 times per week for 55 minutes on a recurring schedule.
- Sessions can take place in-person at our Center or online via Zoom.
- All sessions are one-to-one and completely individualized.
- Pre-readers through adult learners are welcome.
- We'll guide you in specific home practice assignments.
- You'll have regular progress meetings and additional consultations are available as needed.
- We are happy to collaborate with school personnel and other professionals.
- There are no additional fees or costs. Session prices include curriculum, materials, assessments and progress reports and communications with your specialist.